Business Combination and Goodwill
|6 Months Ended|
Jun. 30, 2022
|Business Combination and Asset Acquisition [Abstract]|
|Business Combination and Goodwill||BUSINESS COMBINATION AND GOODWILLOn January 31, 2022, the Company acquired certain assets of Gorelick Brothers Capital (“GBC”), including a 60% interest in GBC’s asset and property management business (the “GBC Acquisition”). The 60% interest in GBC’s asset and property management business was acquired by the Operating Company for consideration of $30.0 million (total implied value of $50.0 million) with 50% paid in cash and 50% with 694,412 Class A Units of the Operating Company, which was
based on a 15-day average of the Company’s closing stock price prior to the closing of the transaction. Upon consummation of the GBC Acquisition, (i) the GBC team and Bridge launched a single-family rental (“SFR”) strategy on the Bridge platform, (ii) Bridge and the former key principals of GBC formed and jointly own a new SFR investment manager within Bridge, and (iii) Bridge and the former GBC principals completed a $660.0 million recapitalization of a portfolio comprising more than 2,700 homes in 14 markets, concentrated in the Sunbelt and certain Midwest markets of the United States. The Operating Company now indirectly owns a 60% majority of the newly created Bridge SFR investment manager, and the former principals of GBC own the remaining 40%.
A majority of the fair value of the purchase consideration was attributed to goodwill, with synergies expected to accrue from the vertically integrated Bridge SFR investment strategy. As part of the transaction, approximately $1.0 million of liabilities were assumed by the Operating Company as consideration for the purchase price. As of June 30, 2022, the remaining balance of the liabilities was $0.5 million. The number of Class A Units of the Operating Company that were transferred to GBC as a portion of the total consideration was based on an average closing price of the Company’s Class A common stock from January 13, 2022 through January 27, 2022. Class A Units of the Operating Company are exchangeable on a one-for-one basis with Class A common stock, subject to certain conditions.
The following summarizes the total consideration for the GBC acquisition and the related purchase price allocation for the assets acquired, liabilities assumed and non-controlling interests (in thousands):
(1)The fair value was determined using Level 3 assumptions.
In connection with the GBC Acquisition, the Company expensed the closing costs during the period in which they were incurred, which is included in general and administrative expense on the consolidated statement of operations for the period then ended.
Intangible assets acquired consist of fund and property management contracts and trade name. The fair value of management contracts was estimated based upon estimated net cash flows generated from those contracts, discounted at 8.5% with remaining lives estimated between 5 and 10 years for fund management contracts and 30-days for property management contracts. The trade name was valued using a relief-from-royalty method, based on estimated savings from an avoided royalty rate of 1% on expected revenue discounted at 8.5%, with an estimated useful life of 4 years.
The entire disclosure for a business combination (or series of individually immaterial business combinations) completed during the period, including background, timing, and recognized assets and liabilities. The disclosure may include leverage buyout transactions (as applicable).
Reference 1: http://fasb.org/us-gaap/role/ref/legacyRef